Sunday, October 25, 2009

Philly Here We Come!

DSC_0369

Mikaela in the little city.

When I was 8 plus months pregnant with Mikaela I moved back to the burbs outside Philadelphia. It was painful for me to leave New York. (three bedroom apartment on the Upper West Side, the most fabulous place to live) The culture shock was enormous. I was resentful of Philadelphia. Okay, and also a bit resentful of the Damn Husband who wanted to live here. (Note to the Damn Husband: don’t get started, yes there were many reasons why this move was practical for us but I am not getting into this right now because that is not what this post is about so don’t get your boxers in a bundle. And yes, I like it here now, but once in a while I get a little home sick for my old stomping grounds. xo)) I wanted to be in the Big City. Not the little city. To make matters worse, I don’t know my way around Philly. I can find anything in NY (or at least I could seven years ago…) and I can’t find anything in Philly. Mostly because I never tried. I have not given Philly a chance. Somehow I got caught up with my life and I haven’t taken the time to explore. I am trying to mend my ways. I took Mikaela to see Bodyvox at the Zellerbach Theatre. Considering how many years I spent creating costume designs for modern dance in NYC it is crazy that this was the first modern dance performance I have seen since I left NY. I have been living in a cultural vacuum.


DSC_0366

“Look, Mommy”, Mikaela says, “Take a picture of this. All those different looking buildings all together. There is a castle hiding behind there.”

DSC_0374

The courtyard outside the Zellerbach.

DSC_0379

A beautiful fall day.

DSC_0397

Why don’t I ever come into this city? I was lucky to run into my friends. They were great tour guides.

DSC_0399

DSC_0404

Why so many bikes? Because we are at The Divine Bike Church at St. Mary’s Episcopal Church, a bike co-op where they help you repair your own bike. I should bring my unicycle here some day. it could use some TLC.

DSC_0424

Thank you Mr. Falafel man for your incredible kindness. When it was my turn to order he said, “What can I get for you, beautiful.” It caught me so off guard it took me a minute to remember what I was ordering. It has been a long time since I have been greeted that way by a stranger. It has been a long time since I have been greeted that way by anyone. I could move into this neighborhood just to order from you everyday. And your food was good too. My falafel sandwich was delicious and I am having hummus leftovers today.

DSC_0421

DSC_0419

DSC_0425

DSC_0432

Okay, Philly, we’ll be back!

No comments: