Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Hobby House

Hobbies are great. Some people knit, some participate in extreme sports, others collect. We have our house.

“Gee honey, what would you like to do this weekend?”

“Uhm, I don’t know, do you want to fix the rotting porch before one of the kids falls through the floor boards or should we try to fill the huge gaps in between the wide plank wood boards in the kitchen so we eliminate the icy breeze?”

“I was thinking we could reglaze the windows before they fall out over the winter and replace the glass in the ones that have already fallen out.”

“I think the porch wins.”

For another weekend our Netflix movies sat in their little paper sleeves collecting dust.

DSC_0027

“If I pretend to know what I am doing perhaps these boards will pretend to be a porch.”

DSC_0022

The little helper

NotSoBoringLife.com lists the 50 most popular hobbies. Number 2 is watching TV. Are you kidding? Watching TV is not a hobby. Number 15 is shopping. Shopping? I guess spending money is a very popular American hobby. Housework is number 24. Who made this list? Gee, if only I had more free time for my favorite hobby, housework. Wait, do they mean housework like cleaning the house or work on the house like my foot just fell through the back porch we better fix this?

According to dictionary.com a hobby is defined as “an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation: Her hobbies include stamp-collecting and woodcarving.”

Okay, so I am a snob. TV is a hobby by this definition. And what about my house? Are we pursuing pleasure and relaxation? I’ll go ask the Damn Husband.

Dictionary.com also gives an added definition: “ride a hobby, to concern oneself excessively with a favorite notion or activity. Also, ride a hobbyhorse.”

Oh yeah, we are riding our hobby alright. Giddy-up you old crooked house.


No comments: