Sunday, November 30, 2008

Three Becomes Five



A rainy Sunday morning. When I woke up after snuggling with her I couldn’t resist trying to capture the moment. She just turned six and can still look like a baby. Her eyes dart around under closed lids. Where are you little dreamer? Oh, how your life is about to change in ways you cannot imagine, All of our lives are changing. On September 18th we received a referral for a baby boy from Ethiopia. His name is Temesgen Tesfaye. We hope to have him home sometime in January. In the mean time we have pictures of him in every room of our house. A picture of him sleeping hangs above our bed. Yesterday we received a referral for a four year old girl named Yeabsira Temesgen. She looks so sad in the photos we just recieved. Sad and beautiful. I want to make her smile. It is too soon to know when she will be able to join us.
Our family is complete and will soon be living on the same continent. (Soon being a relative term) Last night Mikaela called a family meeting. She dragged the big paper pad out of the closet and ran to get a red marker. “Ok”, she said, “we should start with where is everyone going to sleep?” Now she seems so grown up and filled with plans. She tells us an elaborate idea about bunkbeds that can turn and roll up into a fort. She had two concerns. She wanted to still be able to snuggle with me and she wanted to have a place to be alone when she is sad or angry. I remind her that no matter where she sleeps she is always welcome to come snuggle with me. She makes a quick fort in the living room out of an umbrella, two pillows and Wanda’s dog bed. She is satisfied and ends the meeting.
And my head spins with so much joy, fear, and unanswered questions I can’t imagine that I will ever sleep again.

No comments: