Sunday, November 30, 2008

This Damn House




Why did I want an old house? Was I tired of having free time, warm feet, money? My next house is going to be a one level brand new rancher with windows that flip for easy cleaning. I relish a new house with no ‘charm’. I will instead have charming friends come visit my very-dull-very-airtight-no-work-needed house without prehistoric insects lurking in every corner and greeting me by flopping around in the sink each morning. And let’s not talk about the Wild Kingdom effect when the mice come inside to play. In my new house I will never look up at the ceiling during breakfast and wonder if we should try to surface coat the old ceiling and repair the holes or just rip the whole thing down and start again. Yes, wide floor planks are very ‘charming’ but someone please tell me how to fill in the ½ inch gaps between them that are sending freezing cold air onto my frozen toes!













For Mikaela’s birthday we surprised her with a doll house that looks like our house. She loves it! I hope the dolls will be warmer than we are! My friend Amanda gave me this doll house and it has been up in my attic. Many years ago it belonged to her wonderful daughter Karina when she was six. It is so fantastic to have good friends pass their treasures down to my daughter. I painted it to match our house. I still need to finish building the porch but like our real house, the doll house is also a work in progress.
After Mikaela read The Doll People by Ann M. Martin, Laura Godwin and Brian Selznick, and visiting the Doll House exhibit at the Chester County Historical Society, she was primed for this birthday surprise.

No comments: