Monday, December 1, 2008

The meaning of Monday

Monday, the first of December. How did that come on so fast? I can’t help but think of my father when a Monday falls on the first of the month. Mondays were always reserved for new things, new starts, especially new diets. Having Monday fall on the first of the month just increased the power of hope. What I remember the best are the days leading up to such a momentous occasion, the best of my youth. They were the days where you get rid of all the food that you won’t be eating after Monday, when your new lifestyle starts. And of course, he was raised during the Depression so he never wasted anything. Getting rid of the food meant eating it all before Monday. It was hard work but we had to do it. We had to make a clear path for our new lifestyle. My father was always in a cycle of dieting to lose his belly. He was either preparing to diet, hungry from being on a diet or binging after giving up a diet. (If you fall off the diet bandwagon you can’t start a diet until the following Monday.) Now, my father has succeeded in losing his belly but his mind is too far gone for him to enjoy the fact. I was sick with the flu on Thanksgiving so we had a belated Thanksgiving at their house on Sunday which would have been the ultimate for my dad if he had realized the beauty of it. So Pop, I’m getting on the treadmill this morning for you!! Happy Monday.


My sweet Michael won big points by helping shave my dad’s scruffy beard.
























Dad: I don’t know why... all this...it was fine.
Mom: Bob, your mustache hairs were curling into your mouth. It must be like eating shredded wheat.
Dad: I like shredded wheat.
Mom to Michael: Thank you. Now you can see his lips. He has such nice lips.
Me: Hey Pop, maybe you are more kissable now. You should try it.
A big smile crosses his face and he starts to laugh.
Confused, he starts to kiss me. I spin him around to mom and manage to capture this picture.

No comments: