Saturday, November 29, 2008

A Matter of Perspective

This morning I have finally gotten rid of my fever brain and the world looks better. My house looks better because I feel better. It is still as crooked and dusty but this morning it suits me. Michael and Mikaela are giggling upstairs, the cat is lounging by the couch waiting for more food and the dog is whining to go to the park. Good morning world. Mikaela and Michael come downstairs. “Look” says Michael, “We have a surfer”. Mikaela, naked except for her cowboy boot slippers holds onto his t-shirt and slips along behind him full of smiles. And then she is in my lap, snuggling. She smells so sweet. “Mommy I am your baby” She makes her gurgle baby sounds. “Hello my baby”, I say kissing her again. “No mommy, now I am your baby monkey.” And our day begins. Not a perfect day but our day. And this is it. This is our life. Where we have fun making cookies even if they burn.


We will take them to Popie’s house tomorrow where we will have our belated Thanksgiving dinner. He loves the burnt ones, or always says he does. It feels so genuine. “Oh, burnt cookies for me! My favorite!”, he’ll say with a smile. And for a little while, everyone is happy and perfect, just the way they are.

No comments: