Friday, December 11, 2009

Photo Workshop #4: Portraits

For the full photo assignment description go to Rose Note’s fabulous blog.

I think I covered all areas. Everyone in the family is angry with me. I should be “dressing to impress” right now since we are late for my husband’s work party and instead I am half-dressed and trying to post this before I leave. We are staying over in the city and the kids are sleeping over at their grandparents. This is my first date sleep over with my husband since…forever. I can’t remember the last time and here I am unpacked,  and not exactly looking like I am trying to impress anyone.  What I wish I could do is continue working on the tons of ideas I have for this assignment.  Below is a mix of new shots and revamped shots for this assignment. Impressive that I managed this much in between working, nursing kids with chicken pox and “dressing to impress.” Too bad I don’t have time to take the pre-work party photos for this assignment but I know I won’t get to put on makeup until we are in the car. Should look great attempting this in the dark with only the small mirror on the car visor. At least I won’t be the one driving. I will look forward to everyone else’s photos when I get back on Saturday night.

No Face Assignment:

Create five telling portraits of five different people, without including the face of the subject.

 

This was fun. I just kept working on this to avoid doing the self portraits.

100_1294

The local Christmas parade came in handy.

DSC_0058a

A teen homeschool prom

last photo assignment1a

my sweet girl

collage picsa

Nigel, surprisingly color coordinated

 DSC_1695

friends

DSC_0584

 

 

 

ah, could anything be harder than self-portraits? Not for me.  I hate having my picture taken almost as much as I hate dressing up and going to my husband’s office party.  Ugh. I am so bad at dressing up. The only look I am good at now is sloppy motherhood, stains and all.

 

I started by playing with Photoshop. I think I look good in green and black. It sort of accentuates my evil side. Love that liquefy feature.

Collages39a

Joking with my signature black turtleneck that is like my Linus blanket. I am good at hiding and it was freezing.  I love this picture.  I like that it doesn’t look like my arm is stretched out holding a camera.  

DSC_6793 

Mikaela drew this portrait of me and I photographed it hanging on the mirror.

DSC_0370

My daughter took this picture for me when I was at work. The deer photos in the background were taken by a brilliant nature photographer, Barbara Kidder. I love her work (and her)

IMG_0065-1

 

DSC_0126

 DSC_0531

Well, I didn’t put on makeup but I did set up the room lighting. The teens at our homeschooling resource center were having a prom and I set up the library as a photo studio. I wish I could post all the great pics. The teens are so beautiful and they looked so sweet dressed up.  (see, I would much rather be taking photos of other people) The two headless dressy shots above are from the same set up. I made the Damn Husband join me, It looks like I am about to knock him over.  I didn’t have time to pose this way and that, I just jumped in had someone click and jumped out to continue taking the pictures of the teens who were much more fun.

DSC_0220

 

So, surprising additions. I didn’t think I would get to post any more tonight but, the Damn Husband is snoring away on our king size bed in the Omni Hotel. He wore himself out singing Karaoke tonight and I pacified myself by taking pictures.  A good time had by all.  I still never managed to take a good dressed up Martha Stuart/ Good Morning America shot that was part of the assignment. Oh well, there is always next year’s Christmas party…

DSC_0113

It is freezing out. The big puff coat ruins the dressed up look hiding underneath but a girl has to stay warm. This was taken in the elevator of the Omni.

DSC_0023 

 

more fun with mirrors

DSC_0131

DSC_0144a

 

DSC_0146a

DSC_0164a

 

DSC_0166

7 comments:

Carolyn Parker said...

Hi Donna, I'm putting the final touches on my post and went to get your link. Wow, you did good, I love it all, and didn't you have fun? The pictures of you are all so different. Very clever and resourceful!
The no faces shots are varied and wonderful too-- I like the motion.

Hullabaloo Homestead said...

Awww. All the pictures of you and Michael are so great. I'm glad you had a great date night. Your pictures are wonderful. I love the self portrait with the sky as the background. All your pictures are great.

:)Lisa

Bobbie Casey said...

Hi Donna, I did not know you were in the group until this morning. Sorry.
Anyway, I love what you did! You really did get "into" the project. You have made me think. I like that.
It looks like you had a nice trip, as well.
Thank you for sharing

Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig said...

These photos are wonderful!! You are beautiful...and I can just tell you are a lot of FUN! I love sweet girls mismatched socks...so cute. And Nigel? Um..I'll be taking his cute little self home with me!! And lastly...I LOVE the pictures of you and your hubby in the mirror...so great. It shows how much you love each other...great to meet you!!

Carolyn Parker said...

He must be a damn good husband! Those date-night shots are gorgeous!! The cropping is dramatic and beautiful and I love the colors.
Thank you so much!

. said...

I Loovvvve the self-portrait quilt! I stayed up till 2am starting one of me - What fun!

Anonymous said...

California-Nevada Conference United Methodist Women sent over $210,000 to Women Division in 2011 to support national and international mission. [url=http://www.mulberryhandbagssale.co.uk]Mulberry ooutlet online[/url] I was an animal…See More. [url=http://www.goosecoatsale.ca]canada goose down coat[/url] Xxtnbhrrk
[url=http://www.pandorajewelryvip.co.uk]pandora bracelet charms[/url] Pvjpbffnu [url=http://www.officialcanadagooseparkae.com]canada goose online[/url] kohyguhbm